This is the first step to a happier day.
I promise you by the end of this challenge you will have all the feels and you will carry it around with you all day like a nice hot pebble in your belly. You will feel instantly better. It’s impossible not to. This technique saved me from my demons at the worst time of my life and it’s super simple.
All you have to do is write down 10 things that you are grateful for in your life right now. You may be panicking wondering how on earth you’re meant to think of ten whole reasons to be thankful but I will help you with my own list. You will notice I always put why I am grateful, this is to maximise those warm, fuzzy feelings that surface when you express real gratitude.
- With all my heart, I am grateful that I can spend Sundays with my family, because even though sometimes we may drive each other nuts, most of the time we make each other laugh which is the best medicine of all.
- I am truly grateful that I woke up safe and sound with a roof over my head this morning, because feeling safe is one of the most comforting things in this world to me.
- I am so thankful for my sweet and wonderful dog because he is so dopey and lovable he can’t help but make me smile.
- I am so very grateful for my health, because it is a gift which keeps me alive ‘n’ kicking every day!
- I love my sight so very much because I can appreciate the beautiful colours of the world.
- Thank God for toothpaste, because brushing my teeth is one of my favourite times of the day.
- I am truly thankful for my garden, my sacred space, where peace is so easy to find.
- I am so grateful for the running water which means that I can take a shower or have a refreshing drink any time I want to (or need to!)
- I am so grateful that I live in a world where I can buy a beautiful notebook and pen so easily and conveniently, because I can write my grateful thoughts down, but most importantly I can read them back again and realise how truly fortunate I am.
- Finally, from the bottom of my heart, I am grateful that I can share the magic of gratitude with so many people in the hope that it changes their lives for the better- as it did mine.
So there you have it. Easy right? Now read each one of your own back to yourself and say out loud or in your head ‘thank you’. And mean it.
It may seem daunting at first but honestly you can go as broad or as microscopic as you want. Grateful for your health? Great! That’s your blood, organs, body parts, even the trillions of cells that make you what you are. Thank every single cell if you want to because every single cell is playing a part in keeping you healthy. Grateful for the sun? The moon? The universe itself? Write anything you want because you can never be too grateful.
If you need inspiration, give me a shout.
Today’s question is what ten things are you grateful for today?